WHAT IS YOGA?
- Millions of people around the world practice this ancient discipline.
- It's more than just. exercise - movement is co-ordinated with breathing techniques for relaxation.
- It helps to reduce stress and anxiety and provide a sense of well-being.
- It has a strong following among celebrities and athletes such as Russell Brand, Ryan Giggs, Robert Downey Jr., Andy Murray and Lady Gaga.
HOW CAN YOGA HELP YOUR child or TEEN?
- Mental well-being: Reduces anxiety and stress; improves sleep.
- Fitness: Improves posture, flexibility, co-ordination, balance and strength as your teenager's or child's body changes and grows.
- Academic achievement: Enhances memory, focus, understanding and concentration.
- Cultivates self-awareness leading to better behaviour.
Mindful Yoga reduces stress and anxiety, increases emotional awareness and in doing so, can help your teenager or child to be more sensitive to those around them; they make better decisions, their behaviour as well as their school or college grades improve as well their ability to sleep. Your child or teenager needs 8 to 10 hours sleep to function at their best.
WHAT HAPPENS IN CLASS?
- Teenagers and children of any ability can do yoga: The sporty, unsporty, boys and girls.
- There's always a warm-up: Instruction is given on a cardio-boosting 'sun salutation.'
- Guidance is provided on specific poses to stretch and strengthen muscles.
- Breathing and relaxation techniques are taught.
- Equipment, such as mats, are provided. Your teen or child will need to wear loose comfortable sports clothing.
WOULD YOU LIKE YOGA CLASSES TO BE AVAILABLE AT YOUR child's or teenager's SCHOOL OR COLLEGE?
If you feel your child or teenager would benefit from Yoga classes, and they are not yet available at their school or college, print off this letter which you can complete and send to your Head or Principal.
I turned to the practice of Yoga and Mindfulness to balance the challenge of working as an English teacher and a single mother of one fabulous, but now grown-up son. Its benefits inspired me to qualify in teaching Mindfulness and Yoga for school-aged pupils as I am well aware of the many pressures our young people face today. As a Yoga Coach I am fully insured, DBS checked and Emergency First Aid and Youth Mental Health First Aid trained. I am also listed on the Hull Coaching Provider Network with Hull City Council. Further to my Yoga work in schools, I am a Mind with Heart educator for an international charity dedicated to developing pupil well-being, character, emotional intelligence and resilience through Mindfulness as well as a plenary speaker for MHFA (Mental Health First Aid) and MHFA for Youth. I have just completed my two-year training in a post-graduate diploma in Yoga Therapy (CNHC accredited) to help individuals with specific emotional or physical health problems.