What is yoga?
- Yoga is a constantly evolving and adapted ancient holistic health system which originated in India and unites mind, body, and breath to improve strength, flexibility, and mental health.
- A greater sense of well-being is achieved by the way in which Yoga increases emotional self-regulation by utilising the breath. This acts as a bridge between mind and body to balance the stress response which occurs in our brains.
How can yoga help your child or teen?
- Mental well-being: Reduces anxiety and stress as well as improves sleep.
- Fitness: Improves posture, flexibility, co-ordination, balance, and strength as your teenager’s or child’s body changes and grows.
- Academic achievement: Enhances memory, focus, understanding, and concentration.
- Cultivates self-awareness leading to better behaviour and decision making.
Would you like yoga classes to be available at your child's or teenager's school or college?
If you feel your child or teenager would benefit from Yoga classes, and they are not yet available at their school or college, print off this letter which you can complete and send to your Head or Principal.
What happens in class?
- Teenagers and children of any ability can do yoga: The sporty, unsporty, boys, and girls.
- There’s always a warm-up: Instruction is given on a cardio-boosting ‘sun salutation.’
- Guidance is provided on specific poses to stretch and strengthen muscles.
- Breathing and relaxation techniques are taught.
- Equipment, such as mats, are provided. Your teen or child will need to wear loose comfortable sports clothing.
Yoga has meant that when I was doing my GCSEs I could study more effectively by focusing better, having a healthy, balanced lifestyle and a positive mindset to learning.
Yoga is like time out space in the middle of the week to take you away from your worries. You can put things to one side for about an hour and it’s really helpful.
Tristessa is a brilliant teacher and really knows how to connect with people. She is so friendly and approachable and has a lovely energy that makes her great fun to be around.